Thursday, May 31, 2012

Kitchen Decorating

Happy Thursday! Only one more day of work until the weekend! I am on call though so it really wont be too much of a vacation for me. I finally had some time to work in the craft room due to some rainy weather keeping me inside.

We have been in our house for almost a year now and have done a lot of improvements. Including painting our kitchen and stripping some awful wallpaper that came straight out of the 70's. We are talking all kinds of fruit bouncing around some brightly colored shapes! Now that we have painted our easement in our kitchen one color I was bummed that everything looked so plain. After browsing through my ever growing collection of cartridge I came upon the pie in Country Life....enter my brilliant idea to make some art with my Cricut!

Project Ingredients:
  • 8x8 Canvas
  • Mod Podge
  • Some really cute kitchen-y cardstock that I have no idea where I got (sorry)
  • Country Life Cricut Cartridge
  • Bakers Twine - Oatmeal
  • Zig 2-Way Glue
  • G Studio Gray Ink
  • G Studio Gold Ink

 I started off by covering my canvas with the cute kitchen cardstock with lots of sayings on it. I used Mod Podge too keep it stuck on the canvas. I then cut the Pie cut (the very last design) on the Cricut Country Life cartridge. I cut all the layers at 7. With a lot of trial and error I finally figured out where I wanted my pie placed on the canvas. I centered my Bakers Twine "X" right under my pie and criss crossed it around the canvas. As I was putting my pie layers all together I decided it needed to be dressed up a little.

I fan folded the pie pan to give it that crinkly look. I used my gray ink on the steam to make it appear more steam like. The rolling pin looked nothing like my rolling pin. I have an old one that has been in my family forever. Sure I have nice new ones but for some reason I just like to use my old one when making pie crust. It just rolls better! So I decided the pin needed to look a little worn with love. I took my Zig 2-Way glue and ran it all over the middle of the rolling pin. I rubbed it in with my fingers creating a streaky wood grain look. I then took my gold ink and lightly brushed ink in spots all over it with a fine paint brush. Viola wood look! May not be as good as some of the distress stuff but hey it works for me!




I have 3 more of these canvas and I plan to make some similar stuff with those. I hope to have a nice kitchen collection by the time I am done!


Thanks for stopping by and happy crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my posts! I truly appreciate it!